Would you like to make a living inspecting and maintaining offshore rigs, pipelines, bridges, dams, and boats? Or making new marine discoveries and performing rescue missions?
Our Commercial Diving program is the only state-funded, accredited program in the state of Louisiana! Master real-world skills, where you'll get both classroom and practical diving experience and learn basic underwater skills and safety practices.
Take a look at the degree plan:
Students can earn a Certificate of Technical Studies in Commercial Diving in as little as seven months at the Young Memorial Campus in Morgan City. The program emphasizes safe and efficient work practices, basic occupational skills, and employability skills.
Students will obtain the following industry certifications:
- ADCI Entry-Level Tender/Diver (Student will receive an ADCI card)
- ACDE Commercial Diver (Student will receive an ACDE card)
- Water Survival/HUET (METS)
- API Approved Rigging
- DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers (DAN DFA Pro) (oxygen provider included)
Whether you want to work tending and diving inland or in the oil and gas industry, for research exploration, or for government organizations, SLCC will prepare you for life as a diver after graduation.
Students completing the Commercial Diving program will be able to do the following:
- Understand the physics and physiology of hyperbaric environments.
- Demonstrate required skills for equipment maintenance and equipment operations.
- Perform actual underwater work similar to that done routinely by divers in inland and oilfield operations.
- Observe and apply safe and efficient work practices.
- Apply basic occupations skills and employability skills.
Average Salary: $62,730
(Bureau of Labor Statistics, Louisiana Average Salary 2021)
To be accepted into the Commercial Diving program, applicants are required to:
- Be at least 18 years of age upon completion of the program
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a nationally recognized Open Water SCUBA Certification from any diving instructional entity, such as PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.
- Obtain ADCI Commercial Diver physical performed by a hyperbaric physician (*Note: This physical is good for one year and must remain valid while attending the program.)
Applicants must read the packet for the Commercial Diving Program prior to applying for the program.
To discuss program details and enrollment steps, fill out this contact form or contact:
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.