In collaboration with college faculty and staff, the Academic Success Center strives to identify and meet students’ needs and to provide services that will help students meet their educational goals. Faculty can always collaborate with ASC staff in the following ways:
- Announce services, events, and hours
- Include information about the ASC in your course syllabi (We can provide a copy & paste statement if you wish)
- Invite an ASC staff member or a tutor give your class a brief presentation of services
- Refer students to the ASC using one of our referral forms
- Suggest that your students organize a study group and/or request a tutor-supported study group
- Direct students to ASC's web page
Collaborate with the ASC:
- Meet with tutors to give them helpful information about your approach to specific content areas.
- Conduct a subject-specific tutor training session with center staff that supports a specific discipline (Writing-specific, Math-specific, Science-specific, Foreign Language-specific) or specific subject (Physics, Biology, Chemistry, Trigonometry)
- Conduct a tutor training session in collaboration with ASC staff. (Sample topics: Cultural diversity, Communication skills, Active listening and paraphrasing, Verbal and nonverbal communication)
- Offer a subject-specific or other workshop for students such as (Stress relief, Test anxiety, Study skills (specific area), Organize and lead group study sessions in the ASC, Provide subject-specific review sessions for students)
- Be a guest speaker at one of our tutor training sessions
- Place supplemental handouts, materials, or assignments for your classes in the ASC.
- Meet with ASC staff to explore and create alternative learning activities for your course.
- Refer potential tutors and student workers to the ASC
- Collaborate with staff to host and assist with ASC-sponsored special events
- Serve on the new ASC Advisory Board (Details forthcoming)
- Faculty who wish for the Academic Success Center to come visit their students to give a 5-10 minute introduction of the tutoring services that we offer can complete this Google form. After you complete the Google form, we will contact you via email to make arrangements.
- Ask ASC staff how you can incorporate ASC services into your curriculum and syllabi
Faculty who would like to tutor with the Academic Success Center are asked to complete this Google form. This form will allow us to streamline communication and work around your schedules. Please note that tutoring is considered a service to the college and adds great value to your yearly portfolios. The students are always grateful for your generosity.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.