Our Welding program lets you master real-world skills in a hands-on environment, where you'll learn various processes and techniques of welding including oxyfuel cutting, carbon arc cutting, shielded metal arc welding, gas tungsten arc welding, flux-cored arc welding, gas metal arc welding, plasma arc cutting, blueprint reading, weld symbols, and much more!
Whether you want to work in transportation, shipbuilding, construction, manufacturing, oil and gas extraction, aerospace, pipelines, power plants, or refineries, SLCC will prepare you for life as a welder after graduation.
Take a look at the degree plans:
The Welding Technology Technical Diploma program allows students to develop skills needed for entry level employment as a welder. The three semesters (1155 contact hours) focus primarily on structural welding techniques with various welding processes including:
- SMAW (Shielded Metal Arc Welding) (Stick)
- FCAW (Flux-Cored Arc Welding)
- GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welding) (MIG)
- GTAW (Gas Tungsten Arc Welding) (TIG)
Students will have the opportunity to earn the following Industry credentials with NCCER upon completion of this program:
- NCCER Core
- NCCER Welding Level 1
- NCCER Welding Level 2
Graduates from our Welding program can:
- Demonstrate proficiency in safe use, set-up and troubleshooting of equipment and tools used in the welding industry.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform quality cuts using oxyfuel cutting, plasma arc cutting and air carbon arc cutting processes.
- Demonstrate and apply skills necessary to perform quality fillet or groove welds in all positions using the following processes: SMAW, FCAW, GMAW, and GTAW.
- Demonstrate the ability to interpret blueprints, welding symbols, and verbal orders to prepare for welding operations.
Upon graduation, students go to work as Welders, Structural Welders, MIG Welders, TIG Welders, and Flux Core Welders.
Average Salary: $52,780
(Bureau of Labor Statistics, Louisiana Average Salary 2021)
If you are interested in welding as a hobby or would like to enhance your current skills, we also offer courses for you to learn basic, intermediate, and advanced welding techniques.
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.