Pregnant and Parenting Students
*NOTE: Pregnant students are encouraged to seek assistance for excused absences or accommodations as quickly as possible. Some options and accommodations cannot be retroactively applied. Pregnant students seeking assistance during the semester of enrollment will have better options than those notifying the College of their situation after the semester has ended.
The U.S. Department of Education regulations concerning pregnancy and related conditions provide that a college that is a recipient of federal funding shall not discriminate against any student on the basis of pregnancy, childbirth, and false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy or recovery from these conditions.
Basic rights under Title IX state that SLCC must excuse a student's absence due to pregnancy or childbirth for as long as a doctor says it is necessary.
Example accommodations include:
- Flexible Attendance: This includes excused tardiness and an unlimited number of excused absences with no grade penalty. It also includes the ability to complete course requirements at home when feasible and submit them electronically. In addition, the student is entitled to an extension for assignment due dates. If the student is unable to meet course objectives, then you may request alternatives such as a grade of Incomplete or withdrawal from the course
- Class Section Change (e.g. in-person to online)
- Limited Exposure to Potentially Dangerous Substances (e.g., Lab or Clinical)
- Limited Lifting • Limited Standing • Separate or Different Table/Chair
- Restroom Use (e.g., frequency)
Content for Letter of Support: Below is the information the college is looking for in evaluating an individual’s request for accommodation(s). Please include the following in your letter of support:
- What type of accommodation the student is in need of (listed above)
- Estimated Due Date
- If accommodation includes time away from class, include an estimated date when a student needs to begin time away from class and a date when the student should be able to resume in-person participation. This is for planning purposes and can change if needed
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.