Phi Theta Kappa
Beta XI Omega Chapter
Phi Theta Kappa Mission Statement
The mission of Phi Theta Kappa is to recognize academic achievement of college students and provide opportunities for them to grow as scholars and leaders.
About Phi Theta Kappa
Established in 1918, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society serves to recognize and encourage the academic achievement of two-year college students and provide opportunities for individual growth and development through scholarship, leadership, service, and fellowship. In 1929, the American Association of Community Colleges recognized Phi Theta Kappa as the official honor society for two-year colleges. Today, Phi Theta Kappa is the largest honor society in American higher education with more than 2 million members and 1,200 chapters located in all 50 of the United States, U.S. territories, British Virgin Islands, Canada, Germany, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, United Arab Emirates and Palau. The South Louisiana Community College Chapter has been officially designated as the Beta Xi Omega Chapter.
Primary Benefits of Membership
- Access to $37 million in scholarship opportunities for members only
- Opportunity to develop research and leadership skills by participating in Honors in Action programming
- Networking with nearly 3 million fellow scholars and servant leaders on more than 1,285 campuses worldwide
- Opportunity to be published in Phi Theta Kappa's anthology, Nota Bene
New Member Qualifications
- Must be enrolled as a student at South Louisiana Community College
- Must have completed at least 12 semester hours at SLCC
- Must have a cumulative G.P.A of 3.0 or higher
- Must be dedicated to academic achievement and community service
PTK Transfer scholarships
Membership in Phi Theta Kappa comes with many benefits, though potential members are most often interested in transfer scholarship opportunities. We encourage potential and current members to browse through PTK transfer scholarships via the PTK Connect webpage. PTK Transfer Scholarships are offered at Louisiana universities listed below:
- Centenary University
- Dillard University
- University of Holy Cross
- Louisiana College
- Loyola University, New Orleans
- Louisiana State University
- Northwestern State University
- Southeastern Louisiana University
- Southern University
- University of Louisiana, Lafayette
- University of New Orleans
- Xavier University
Continuing Active Member Qualifications
- Must maintain a 3.0 or higher cumulative GPA
- Must abide by the SLCC Student Code of Conduct and actively represent the values and mission of Phi Theta Kappa
PTK Honors Symposium
In Spring 2018, the Beta Xi Omega Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa hosted the first PTK Honors Symposium at South Louisiana Community College. The symposium consisted of three hour-long panels composed of student speakers who presented projects that they worked on while attending SLCC. The symposium allowed SLCC’s students to take pride in their work and share it with their college community, demonstrating the high quality of academic success being achieved at the institution. The next PTK Honors Symposium will be held in Fall 2019; more information regarding the event will be released in August.
- Shauntell Journet, "Becoming a Student (Again)"
- Yelda Bakirci, "Becoming an Artist": Part 1; Part 2; Part 3
- Tandra Metz, "Becoming Mute"
- Breonjae Pattum, "Hair and Health"
- Ashlynn Gary, "Cosmetics and Colorism"
- Laura Brasseaux, "Geaux Vote" (speech here)
- Ashley Nonette, "Stay Woke"
Brittany C. Renard, M.A.
Assistant Director for Student Engagement
Are you already a member of Phi Theta Kappa? Be sure that you're part of SLCC's Phi Theta Kappa Outlook group! Email firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to the group and receive important SLCC PTK announcements!
- Student Life Coordinators
- SLCC Discount Program
- Student Government Association
- About Student Life
- Civic & Service Learning
- Diversity & Inclusion Programming
- LBGTQ+ Programming
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Student Code of Conduct
- Student Engagement & Leadership Awards/Scholarships
- Student Groups & Organizations (SGO)
1101 Bertrand Dr.
Lafayette, LA 70506
P: (337) 521-9000
1933 W. Hutchinson Ave.
Crowley, LA 70526
P: (337) 788-7521
C.B. Coreil Campus
1124 Vocational Dr.
Ville Platte, LA 70586
P: (337) 363-2197
6305 Main Highway
St. Martinville, LA 70582
P: (337) 394-6466
1013 Perret St.
Franklin, LA 70538
P: (337) 413-8146
Gulf Area Campus
1115 Clover St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
P: (337) 893-4984
New Iberia Campus
908 Ember Dr.
New Iberia, LA 70560
P: (337) 373-0172
T.H. Harris Campus
332 E. South St.
Opelousas, LA 70570
P: (337) 943-1518
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.