The Office of Student Engagement provides LGBTQ+ programming and resources that foster a campus environment that is positive, safe and supportive for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and questioning community.
The Umbrella Club serves a student organization where students of all orientations and genders can celebrate diversity through awareness and education on our campuses and larger community. The Umbrella Club encourages acceptance, tolerance and self-pride within SLCC through community involvement and support.
Umbrella Club Facebook Page
- LGBTQ Welcome Back Reception
The Office of Student Engagement invites the SLCC LGBTQ community and their allies to a meet and greet reception. It is an opportunity for our returning students and new students on campus to connect and kick off a new academic year. In addition to food and music, a variety of local organizations and resources will have information available and on hand for all participants.
- Pride Week
SLCC Pride Week occurs during the spring semester. Pride Week is a three-day educational event, tied closely to college curricula, seeks to provide a safe and supportive learning environment for not only SLCC’s student LGBTQ+ community, but also provides rich, academic and cultural learning opportunities for all students.
- Safe Zone Training
The Office of Student Engagement sponsors a specialized Safe Zone training (each fall semester) specifically geared towards students, faculty and staff. Completion of this training will equip you with many of the concrete skills and resources you'll need to be an ally to students and colleagues of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions. After completion of the training faculty, staff and students are asked to place the SafeZone symbol on their office door, desk, or backpack. Safe Zone allies signify that their space is a safe place to talk and seek help.
- GLSEN – The Gay, Lesbian & Straight Education Network strives to assure that each member of every school community is valued and respected regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity/expression. http://www.glsen.org/
- Trevor Project – The Trevor Project is determined to end suicide among LGBTQ youth by providing life-saving and life-affirming resources including our nationwide, 24/7 crisis intervention lifeline, digital community and advocacy/educational programs that create a safe, supportive and positive environment for everyone. http://www.thetrevorproject.org/
- PFLAG – Parents, Families, & Friends of Lesbians and Gays promotes the health and well-being of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender persons, their families and friends through: support, education, and advocacy. https://www.pflag.org/
- GLAAD – The Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation amplifies the voice of the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender community by empowering real people to share their stories, holding the media accountable for the words and images they present, and helping grassroots organizations communicate effectively to promote understanding, increase acceptance, and advance equality. http://www.glaad.org/
- Drug Rehab – Studies have shown that individuals in the LGBT community are likely to use and abuse alcohol and drugs while in college and tend to continue abuse throughout their lives. Drug Rehab works to spread awareness of drug related issues, while also serving as an informational resource for those impacted by alcohol and drug dependence. https://www.drugrehab.com/guides/campus/
- Addiction Center – The Addiction Center provides individuals who are struggling with addiction and thier love ones with effective recovery resources. https://www.addictioncenter.com/
- Transgender College Student Resources – This guide will help students find answers and resources for common issues experienced on campus while also empowering them to stand up for themselves and know their rights. http://www.affordablecollegesonline.org/transgender-college-student-guide/
- Addiction Treatment Services – This organization provides comprehensible and reliable information regarding various aspects of substance abuse and addiction. Content includes resources for Students, LGBTQIA, Veterans, and Teens. https://addiction-treatment-services.com
In the Community
- Acadiana Pride – Acadiana PRIDE is a non profit organization whose sole mission is to bring awareness and enlightenment to the LGBTQ community. http://acadianapride.weebly.com/
- Bullying Awareness & Prevention http://www.learnpsychology.org/now/bullying/
- Student Suicide & Depression Awareness Guide http://www.learnpsychology.org/suicide-depression-student-guidebook/
- Violence Awareness and Prevention http://www.learnpsychology.org/now/violence/
- Additional Online Psychology Resources http://www.learnpsychology.org/
For More Information Contact:
- Student Life Coordinators
- SLCC Discount Program
- Student Government Association
- About Student Life
- Civic & Service Learning
- Diversity & Inclusion Programming
- LBGTQ+ Programming
- Phi Theta Kappa
- Student Code of Conduct
- Student Engagement & Leadership Awards/Scholarships
- Student Groups & Organizations (SGO)
1101 Bertrand Dr.
Lafayette, LA 70506
P: (337) 521-9000
1933 W. Hutchinson Ave.
Crowley, LA 70526
P: (337) 788-7521
C.B. Coreil Campus
1124 Vocational Dr.
Ville Platte, LA 70586
P: (337) 363-2197
6305 Main Highway
St. Martinville, LA 70582
P: (337) 394-6466
1013 Perret St.
Franklin, LA 70538
P: (337) 413-8146
Gulf Area Campus
1115 Clover St.
Abbeville, LA 70510
P: (337) 893-4984
New Iberia Campus
908 Ember Dr.
New Iberia, LA 70560
P: (337) 373-0172
T.H. Harris Campus
332 E. South St.
Opelousas, LA 70570
P: (337) 943-1518
This site provides information using PDF, visit this link to download the Adobe Acrobat Reader DC software.